Sunday, September 10, 2006

I would never write....

I would never write.... My contribution to Sunday Scribblings

My father has Parkinsons Disease. He has had it since his early 40's and is now 65. His father had it too and his journey with Parkinsons was long and tough. My father has had a very hard time of it. He is literally having the life sucked out of him by this terrible disease.

BUT he never complains.

Watching him over the past 20 years and seeing his body letting him down, his normal functions becoming increasingly difficult - I would love him to just be a 65 year old who has time, energy and enthusiasm to do what he wants when he wants after working most of his life.

Its truly heartbreaking.

He continues on.

He is in the 4th year of a French and Spanish degree. It keeps his mind active. And last year he spent 4 months in Spain and then 4 months in France. He loved it!

I find it hard to watch him eat, as its painfully slow.
I find it hard to see him forget what he is doing or what he is saying.
I find it hard to see him looking like an old man, when he isn't really.
I find it hard to talk to him as I run out of patience.
I find it had to watch my dad in this state.

These are my issues, I know. I try to deal with them but I'm not very good at it.

If I had one wish, it would be to find a cure for this hideous disease.

6 Comments:

Blogger Autrice DelDrago said...

I hope that wish becomes a reality!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Chelle Y. said...

I hope they find a cure for this disease and for all the other diseases that are taking friends and family away from us.

Good post!

11:01 PM  
Blogger lisrobbe said...

A good friend of mine father had parkinson's. I feel for what you have to go through. I hope they can find a cure as well.

3:24 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

It's a terrible disease, which affects far too many people. You write about your father's experiences with compassion and understanding. Thanks for this brave and honest post.

10:11 AM  
Blogger sophie said...

My Dad has had it since he was
46 and he is 68 now.
It has been a cruel and torturous
road.
And he never ever complained.
And now it is hard for him to
even talk and it robs him -
and us of so very much.

So i know EXACTLY what you are
going through.

(hugs)

5:21 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

You are going through too much. I wish life gets easier for you and your dad.

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home